Charlotte and surrounding counties
Photo: Larry Mellichamp with Southern Piedmont Chapter at NC Gamelands, May 2016 pointing out pitcher plants.
Follow the Southern Piedmont Chapter blog by clicking here.
Meetings held 2nd Sunday each month, 2:00 PM Unless noted
No meeting in July 2017
Sunday, December 08, 2019
Winter Seed Share and Social
Sunday, December 8, 2019, 2 PM
Reedy Creek Park, Shelter 3
Start saving your seeds now to share at our most popular meeting of the year!
Free and Open to the Public
The growing Southern Piedmont Chapter needs more space for our events so we’ve moved to Shelter 3 at Reedy Creek Park for our indoor meetings. To find us, take the Reedy Creek Park main entrance road until it dead-ends. Turn left and follow the park signs to Shelter 3.
Reedy Creek Park, Shelter 3, 2900 Rocky River Rd, Charlotte NC 28215
Past ProgramsEarth Day 2017 Celebrations with NCNPS volunteers at several locations in the Charlotte area are the perfect place to share native plant information with visitors. It was a great day to make seed bombs with our youngest environmentalists.
We need you! The Southern Piedmont Chapter has many active members, and we hope you will get involved and participate. What do we do?
- Speak to school, scout, HOA, faith, garden clubs and any other groups interested in learning about native plants. We can provide materials and powerpoint presentations.
- Volunteer to propagate seeds for distribution at area events.
- Volunteer to staff Earth Day, Hummingbird Festival, and other community events at an NCNPS booth. Materials will be provided, but we need members to answer questions and share their knowledge.
- Volunteer to tend local native plant garden. Often parks, school grounds and neighborhoods want to commit to growing more natives. But they need our helping hands to keep the project on track.
Great Gardens in the Piedmont!! Great books to read, and great groups for more information!
—UNCC Botanical Gardens including Mellichamp Native Plant Terrace
—Reedy Creek Nature Center and Nature Preserve
—The Mecklenburg County Herbarium located at the James F. Matthews Center for Biodiversity Studies housed at Reedy Creek Nature Preserve
—Certificate for Native Plant Studies at UNCC Botanical Gardens
—Native Plants of the Southeast by Larry Mellichamp and photographs by Will Stuart available at Timber Press
—CROWN-Charlotte chapter of the Wildlife Federation
—HAWK-Habitat and Wildlife Keepers-Matthews area
—Xerces Society--great place for pollinator information!
— Going Native --Urban Landscaping for Wildlife with Native Plants--Super site operated by NCSU
- Latta Prairie (October 09, 2016)
- The Medicine Wheel Garden (February 08, 2015)
- The Herbarium at Reedy Creek Nature Center (January 11, 2015)
- Mellichamp Native Terrace (October 12, 2014)
- Pink Lady’s-slippers with the Davidson Lands Conservancy (May 04, 2014)
- McDowell Prairie Restoration Site (September 14, 2014)
back to top